Thursday, May 7, 2015

Movie Madness

Today Cate wants to know my top five movies of all time.

If I went strictly by what I've seen the most on television, it would go something like Mean Girls, She's The Man, The Princess Diaries, John Tucker Must Die, and Pitch Perfect.  Are you sensing a theme?  Yep, teen chick flicks ... and while I enjoy them, no they aren't my choice. Obviously this programming is courtesy of my girls (well, at least the younger two)!

Second most in terms of viewing "pleasure" would include anything from the Terminator series, Matrix series, Saving Private Ryan and a host of other war-type movies, Aliens and all the sequels, and Twister along with all the related mega-weather type movies. Theme?  Action-adventure and Sci-Fi mix. I enjoy these too, especially the sci-fi and weather movies. Not so much the war ones. Courtesy of Jay of course.

And since those are the people who generally control the remote, those are the movies I've seen most on television.  But IF I were given the remote (like that would ever happen), the movies I would choose as my favorites of all time:

1. E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (1982) Poster  E.T. (1982) - what's not to love about a friendly little alien that just wants to go home??? And has this ever been shown on TV?

2. Dirty Dancing (1987) Poster Dirty Dancing (1987). I'd give my eye teeth to be able to dance like that. And I always had a thing for Patrick Swayze. Loved him in Ghost as well. And I enjoy just about any dance-themed movies, including the newer ones like Step Up (2006), cause let's face it, Channing Tatum isn't hard to look at either.

3. Mrs. Doubtfire (1993) Poster Mrs. Doubtfire (1993). Robin Williams was a comedic genius but I think this was my favorite role of his of all time.

4. Forrest Gump (1994) Poster Forrest Gump (1994). Tom Hanks is just incredible in this film. And the references to events over decades can't help but crack you up. I loved the scene where he accidentally invented the smiley face!

5. Avatar (2009) Poster Avatar (2009). This had some of the most beautiful CGI imagery I've ever seen and the message is timeless. I loved it!

And just because I can... a few runner's up on my favorites list include Ferris Bueller's Day Off (1986), Independence Day (1996) (and the Men in Black Series and Hitch - yes, I enjoy Will Smith), and Titanic  (1997).


linking up with Cate's Blog Every Day in May.

9 comments:

Melissa said...

What a great and inclusive list of movies. ET and Mrs. Doubtfire and Forrest Gump are favorites of mine, too.

Fiona@Staring at the Sea said...

I love Dirty Dancing. Such a feel good film and always makes me think of college days and great friends. Avatar was an amazing experience at the cinema. I took my boy the day he had his Asperger's assessment. ET was on TV here about 2 weeks ago. Always worth a watch.

Sian said...

I'll hold my hand up and say I love teen chick flicks too. Actually, High School movies generally. One of my favourites is "Ten Things I Hate About You"

scrappyjacky said...

I really like all your choices....especially Avatar [which we watched on a cruise]....but probably my favourite movies would be Disney ones....I love so many of them.

Maria Ontiveros said...

I cry like a baby everytime I see Mrs. Doubtfire!
I think some of my favorites are classics (like The Philadelphia Story), but it is true that I tend to think in terms of my favorite action movie, my favorite comedy, etc.
Rinda

Karen said...

I loved Mrs. Doubtfire, and enjoyed The Titanic, but the rest are unfamiliar to me. I hardly watch any TV besides the news and our usual movie watching habits involve seeing some of the Oscar nominees the two or three months prior to the Oscars. We recently went to see Woman in Gold, however, which I would definitely recommend.

Carola Bartz said...

I'm not sure whether I have a real all time favorite movie, but there are a few I go back to all the time, like Forest Gump, Sleepless in Seattle, Dave, Lord of the Rings (all three), the Pride and Prejudice BBC series and A Knight's Tale.

Carola Bartz said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Barbara Eads said...

I DO have the remote! So, you will most likely find me watching just about anything on PBS and documentaries of all kinds. But back to your list---I LOVE Pitch Perfect and pretty much anything with song and dance! I've also recently discovered a series I've been watching lately called Reign. I love period pieces too!