Monday, January 27, 2014

A Year of Kindness - Challenge Week Four

So how did smiling go for you? I caught myself rushing through my errands a few times and slowed down enough to smile at the clerks at the grocery store and the pharmacy. I had a great day at the office smiling at EVERYONE - I suppose they were wondering what I'd been smoking before work. ;) But it's true, smiling is contagious and it does make your day lighter and happier. I even found myself smiling when I was alone!

For week four's challenge, I thought we would bring kindness back home. And I'm simply calling it "do a kindness at home."  This can take so many forms. For me, our division of labor at home is I cook, Jay does the dishes. But on days when he has had a particularly difficult day at work or has had a miserable commute home, I will often do the dishes for him. This costs me nothing more than a few minutes of my time and allows him an extra few minutes to unwind and relax. Sometimes it is just what he needs to get out of his work funk.  When the girls are home, I try to make sure that their work uniforms (both waitress at different places and have required dress shirts) are always clean on the days they go in to work. This isn't my "job" or "chore" - they are adults and perfectly capable of washing their own clothes. It is just one more way I choose to show kindness at home.

The day I caught Rachel and Becca out shoveling before their Dad came home from work.
Without being asked.   And the pride in my motherly heart swelled.
Please come back when you have a chance and tell me what kindness you did at home this week!

7 comments:

Missus Wookie said...

I smiled at lots of people - including some loud small people next door. Smiling is definitely contagious.

Melissa said...

I didn't have a lot of chance for the smiling as we were home all week - Robbie had a terrible sinus infection & the flu! I did lots of kindnesses at home last week though, trying my best to care for him & get everything he needed. We usually split the cooking & kitchen cleaning pretty evenly, but I tried to do it all last week. He was back at work today, but he's exhausted & on his way home now. I have supper in the oven & a favorite DVD pulled out for him to watch so he can rest! :>)

scrappyjacky said...

Smiling is definately good for the soul.
I think I may have achieved my 'kindness at home' already this week....popping into town to pick up some bits for my daughter and deliver them to her...to save her walking down there in the rain.

alexa said...

What a super photo and quote - definitely one to remember :). Kindness at home today? I accompanied my very elderly Dad on an hour and a half's journey round an issue which I had thought might take ten minutes :).

Alison said...

I have just been catching up on your kindness posts, Cheri....given that I'm home alone this week, I think I'll be being kind to myself whilst trying to get back into my routine!
Alison xx

Miriam said...

Catching up with you and starting this weekend. Smiling is a great thing to do and it is infectious. Kindness at home? I bought my son a new duvet cover and didn't tell him, the smile on his face and mine when he told me this morning how lovely it was...
priceless. Thank you Cheri

Amy Putkonen said...

This is a great idea. My best friend is my best friend partly because of her kindness. When we are in line at the grocery store, she will talk to the person behind the cash register and ask them about themselves. She will learn their names. I often think of her when I am out and about and try to be similarly conscious of the people around me. Sometimes I am not. Sometimes I rush around and don't even look at people. But it feels better if I take the time to look up. Thanks for this sweet post.