Friday, August 16, 2013

Just A Quote {In Defense of the Birds} For Friday

Deb recently  posted that she is not a fan of birds. Well, I had to laugh. If the only birds around here were pigeons and grackles I might feel much the same way. Thankfully we have a much better diversity in the species pool around here.  Occasionally I even get treated to a brief glimpse of a hummingbird on my back deck. But they are here and gone so quickly I've never been able to get a photograph.

A trip last week to Longwood Gardens is my case in point.
Tell me you can see the pretty little yellow bird with the black wings? I had about less than a split second to snap this photo before he moved on, but what a pretty sight he made flying off through the blue sky.


This little guy had a bunch of friends. They all seemed to enjoy sitting atop the heads of these large sunflowers that had already gone to seed.

So here's my quote for Friday:

Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best.
Henry Van Dyke 

10 comments:

Deb @ PaperTurtle said...

Haha, well it's true! If I had pretty little birds like that hanging out in my backyard I might feel a whole lot different about birds.

Really cool quote to go with your photos!

Missus Wookie said...

The second one is a sparrow, don't know about the first - I do like pretty birds but like Deb I'm not fond of pigeons.

scrappyjacky said...

I might feel the same if we had anything much apart from seagulls!!

Sian said...

You're right..it's the pigeons I'm particularly wary of too

This is a great thought. Worth posting!

alexa said...

I really like your quote:). And in defence of pigeons, can I just point out that they didn't ask to be born pigeons? They're just doing what pigeons do :).

Jen said...

Oh I love birds - - though the herring gulls can be a dreadful nuisance - fortunately my garden is too enclosed for them - so I only get the little birds vivting me. Love both your quote and the photos. J x

Maria Ontiveros said...

Lovely quote! Our birds are very much like yours.
Rinda

debs14 said...

Such pretty birds and a super quote.

Carola Bartz said...

Back in school I had a classmate who hated birds - yes, she used the word "hate"! I could never understand that. I enjoy all the birds in my garden - we have so many different ones - and I certainly don't want to miss their lively chatter and song. Beautiful pictures, Cheri, and I like the quote as well.

Anonymous said...

Love that little black and yellow bird and very apt quote.