Wednesday, August 1, 2012

One Little Word Blog Hop - August 1st


Hello! Whether you arrived here from Tere's Blog as part of the One Little Word Blog Hop, or you are here because you love me and drop by regularly... Welcome! I love visitors! The One Little Word Blog Hop is a monthly hop run by Margie for members of Ali Edwards' One Little Word class over at Big Picture Classes.

I'm playing catch-up as I didn't have June's assignment done in time for the last month's hop.  The June assignment for One Little Word was to get creative with a page of cards, keeping our word in mind - sort of like a meditative exercise.  I did mine as a full sheet and then cut it down into cards:
I can't say that anything in here has particular meaning or significance with respect to my word - it was just what I was feeling while I was playing.  I'm very happy with the color scheme and the teal on teal stamping, but not thrilled with the finished cards overall


July's Assignment was a similar set of cards, but this time with a theme of music and lyrics that had meaning to you for your chosen word.  Here's what I created:
In this case, I started with a piece of kraft cardstock and decopaged a page of sheet music on top.  The sheet music happens to be a page from the song "I Believe in Music" so even though that isn't obvious, I know it has meaning underneath all the other layers.  I whitewashed the music page with gesso and then added misting in yellows, oranges, and pinks.  It is a very subtle effect, but really looks nice in person.  I also layered on stamping and rub-ons before cutting the cards to size.  Once cut, I then treated the cards individually, inking the edges and deciding which lyrics to use and how to place them.  


Here's a couple of close-ups:


Overall, I was very pleased with the way this month's assignment came out.  Thanks for stopping by and checking it out!  Just so happens I'm the last blog on the hop this month, but feel free to head back to  Margie's blog and check out everyone else's work.

Brighton    www.simplebrighton.com



14 comments:

Missus Wookie said...

Oh both sets are lovely. I like the lettering in the first set - spotty and funky.

That Rob Thomas song is one that makes me smile and cry at the same time. Gorgeous butterflies too.

You did well to find so many songs with focus in the there! I like having layers with meaning even if they aren't visible.

Maria Ontiveros said...

I love the scratchy hearts. My OLW is "home," and there's a song they've been using on the Olympics by Jason Mraz called something like "I will be your home," which really calls to me.
Rinda

scrappyjacky said...

The second ones are definately my favourite....gorgeous.

alexa said...

I really like both sets, Cheri - the sharpness of the turqoises and the softness of those mellow taupes and apricots. Super textures ...

Karen said...

Both sets are beautiful, but the bright colors in the first set really call out to me.

Anonymous said...

Your work is always so amazing, and you're just talented beyond words. So glad I get to hop over to visit you each month :)

Sian said...

Absolutely stunning! You have such a talent. Really.

Naomi said...

Your cards are gorgeous! I love how you've designed them to reflect YOU.

Tere Azua said...

Love your canvases from June, OMGoodness they are soooo amzing!
And the cards for July's prompt are again amazing!!!

Anonymous said...

Love the second set - beautiful work

kelly said...

gorgeous cheri! i love your june art - what a great idea to create one canvas and break it down. and your song choices are so great. awesome inspiration!

MonicaB said...

I love all the layers on your cards! They are just gorgeous! Great song choices.

P.S. The font I used on my cards was ChopinScript. It was free font.

Kara N said...

Cheri - I love your cards. They are beautiful. Love how you put your word across several of your collage cards.

Cheryl said...

Beautiful cards! And the Rob Thomas song is perfect.