Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Wild Abandonment

So I'm taking a class right now called "The Art of Wild Abandonment".  It's over at Christy Tomlinson's site, but taught by Junelle Jacobsen, a woman who was taking the Three Hearts art journaling class at the same time as me and whose work I admired greatly.  So I started following her blog which is continually filled with beautiful art, gorgeous photography of the cutest little lambs, and just totally inspiring thoughts. I signed up for this class the day it was announced!

Week 2 has been posted, but I'm only about 2/5 of my way through the Week 1 material.  In fact, I just finished the first assignment yesterday.  Junelle's introduction to sketching was to sketch radishes.  But nobody in this house eats radishes, so I went for something similar but a little friendlier to our tastebuds... strawberries!

First the actual pencil sketches...

Add some color... I bought a cheap set of watercolor crayons at Michaels. I was NOT impressed with the blending abilities of these, so I ordered a set of Caran d'Ache Neocolor II watercolor crayons yesterday. That is what our instructor is using and I can't wait for them to come in so I can see if there is a difference.

Finishing touches with the ink pen.  I didn't "finish" every sketch... just a handful of them that I liked best.

My chocolate covered strawberry.

The upside down strawberry turned woodland home for some tiny fairy creature.

And that pair of snuggling berries.

So, sketching does not come easily or naturally for me and this assignment probably took me way longer than Junelle had in mind.  But I'm happy to have it done and ready to move onto owls!

12 comments:

Sian said...

Cheri, you can really draw! I'm more than a little envious lol

Deb @ PaperTurtle said...

Super cool, Cheri!!! I love your sketches and the snuggling strawberries are adorable!

scrappyjacky said...

I think they're great Cheri....and far better than anything I could do.

Maria Ontiveros said...

Yea Cheri! Definitely applauding. I love your chocolate strawberry. The pen work really makes a huge difference, doesn't it? I've been watching the Week 2 videos and jotting down/sketching some thoughts. But not time to actually play yet.
Let me know how you like the neocolors.

Rinda

quiltingfool said...

You never cease to amaze me! I used to be able to draw well when I was young, but I totally lost the ability. I think you inherited every dormant talent I ever thought of having, but never did. It seems that, if it interests you at all, you are super good at it. I still wish you hadn't given up quilting...the evening bag you made for me is a true work of art. You ar an amazing woman!

debs14 said...

Love seeing the process of bringing these little strawberries to life. You have a real talent Cheri.

Anonymous said...

Jealous!!! I can barely draw a circle. Super job.

Anonymous said...

Oh Cheri - I love the little strawberry house x

Jo.C said...

Brilliant again - love the little fairy house :0)

Ginger said...

They look fantastic Cheri :) Very strawberry looking ;)I`m enjoying seeing what others are making for this class. I just signed up for Candace Stringham`s photography class so I know that will keep me busy!

P.S - I answered your question on my blog :)

Karen said...

This are wonderful! You can draw!!! Looking forward to seeing the next assignment.

MonicaB said...

Love your sketches...really like the snuggling berries. Beautiful work!