Friday, May 27, 2011

Meet My Best Girls - Chapter Two

Next up, Rachel:

I met Rachel in 1983.  I had just graduated from college.  She was still in high school.  We were hired by Sears to work in the catalog order department at the same time.

Rachel has been there for me through moves (yes, lugging boxes!), my wedding, pregnancies and births, taking care of my toddler twins when I needed to go out of town, and helping out in emergencies (like when I ended up in the hospital with kidney stones).  Even though we live in the same town, we can go weeks or months without seeing or talking to each other, but I always know I can count on her if I need to.

Somewhere in there she got married, had kids of her own, and got busy with her family life. And I like to think I was there for her too.  We share some of the best and some of the worst times. My Mom and her Dad both died from cancer within two weeks of each other.

Shortly after her 40th birthday, Rachel was diagnosed with an aggressive form of breast cancer.  It was in her honor that I walked in the Philadelphia Breast Cancer 3 Day (60 miles) in 2008 and it was with that event that I launched this blog!  Rachel is now three years cancer free!

This is the canvas I made for Rachel:



14 comments:

Sian said...

It's a gorgeous canvas! And it's a pleasure to meet your friends too. Keep 'em coming!

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful post, beautiful journaling and beautiful piece of art. Through getting to know your 'best girls' I feel I am getting to know you and that is a real pleasure xxx

humel said...

Hoping I can comment this time! I love this post as much as I did the previous one - it tells us about you as well as about your friends xx

Deb @ PaperTurtle said...

I'm loving these "Best Girl" posts, Cheri! And the canvases you've made are so beautiful. I'm sure they LOVED them.

It's fun to study the detail in your artwork...I'm so inspired by you! xo

scrappyjacky said...

I'm loving these posts as well,Cheri....and your friends must be loving such personal canvases made for them....they are wonderful.

Krystal K Grant Photography, LLC said...

Each of the canvases was so beautiful, I would have had trouble giving them away!! I didn't get to look closely at the others, I was so overwhelmed by my own, so I'm glad to see them here. :-) xoxoxox

Melissa said...

Really enjoying your canvases Cheri. How wonderful that you created one for each of your friends, such a special gift.

Rachel said...

This is absolutely BEAUTIFUL. I love it. So great to have friends like this! :)

quiltingfool said...

Another gorgeous piece for a woman who is beautiful inside and out. Rachel is among a handful of women who are my heros, who I admire for their bravery, kindness, generosity and strength. You choose well when it comes to friends. Your canvas totally speaks of Rachel.

furrypig said...

I am really enjoying meeting your friends and seeing all the fabulous canvas creations! Very inspiring xxx

Amy said...

Cheri, you have gorgeous girlfriends and your canvases are blowing my mind - they are stunning! :-)

Anonymous said...

Amy is right, these canvases are fabulous! And I'm loving meeting your friends!

Jo.C said...

Beautiful canvas and post again!

Unknown said...

Ooooh, I love this one too. It (they)is (are) so detailed and absolutely filled with love for your besties!