Thursday, January 27, 2011

Thundersnow

Thundersnow?  I've lived in the very snowy Northeast U.S. most of my life, but had never heard of this.  No small wonder. According to Wikipedia, Thundersnow is a rare occurence and in the U.S. happens mostly in the Great Lakes region and in the mid-West.  I experienced it first-hand last night.  Someone here in Perkasie shot a [sideways] video and posted it on You-Tube, so I'm borrowing to share:



It was kind of wild and crazy, hearing the loud and long-rumbling thunder while it was near-blizzard snowing outside!

This is what we woke up to in the morning:

15 or 16 inches of new snow on top of what was still left on the ground from previous snow, ice, snow storms.
A true "winter wonderland" complete with Jack Frost on the windowpanes.

And of course - school was cancelled.  So my girls have spent more time OUT of school this month than in it!

Spring will be so welcome here!

8 comments:

beccaf1970 said...

I feel your pain! We got walloped here in CT too, although I missed the thunder snow!

Becca (from Picture Winter, although I haven't been a very active participant!)

Anonymous said...

We didn't get hit this time, but I'm with you--more than ready for spring, but know we have at least two more months to go!

Anonymous said...

Wow! I am just really thankful I live in the Pacific Northwest, even if it is grey a lot!!

quiltingfool said...

That's so amazing, and would be even moreso if you don't have to leave the house for any reason. The trees across the street are in blossom already here. Wouldn't mind a little snow though....

humel said...

Goodness me - it's turned really cold here again, but we don't have anything like that!

Unknown said...

PRETTY! (Sorry, I love snow)... and thunder snow is weird, isn't it??

Anonymous said...

Very familiar with Thundersnow here in Wisconsin! TFS! Very cool!

Kelly Miller said...

Wow - I thought Thundersnow was one of those made-up words they create to hype up weather reports.

It looks beautiful, but I wouldn't trade you my 50s-and-sunny.