Monday, January 10, 2011

Sarah Update

Sarah arrived safely in London on Saturday morning:

Here she is with her roommate Shona, gathering their luggage and waiting for the coach to their flat.

She says she didn't sleep at all on the plane - arrival time was the equivalent of 2 a.m. for her and they had a full day ahead! Moving into the flats, a walking tour of their neighborhood, orientation, and dinner out.




The entire group in front of Buckingham Palace.  And there is my girl - front and center!

On day 2, they had a bus tour of London. Sarah has already posted 200 photos to facebook - Buckingham Palace, Big Ben, Tower Bridge, Westminster Abbey, all the Harry Potter sites. Love Diagon Alley! Since many were taken from a moving bus, quality is questionable, but I appropriated a few of the images (and did my best to sharpen them up in PSE) to give you an update anyway.


My favorite shot of the all.  Those red phone booths really are quite the photo opp!

Sunday I was feeling rather weepy and lost, just wanting to know what my girl was up to - when she called - to let her Dad know that she was hanging out at the Victory Pub to watch the Eagles (American football playoffs). Unfortunately our Eagles lost and are now out of the running.

She is dealing with sticker shock over the price of a bag of potato chips and frustration that she can't find staples like grated Parmesan cheese, chocolate chips, and Peanut Butter????  But she has managed to find an ATM that doesn't charge transaction fees and is getting acclimated to her new surroundings.

Sarah is blogging her experience at London 2011 and has given me the green light to share the blog with you - feel free to subscribe or check in occasionally if you care to follow the adventures of a 20-year-old college student in London!

And thanks to everyone who asked how she is doing - I appreciate the thought! :)

16 comments:

Melissa said...

I took a similar photo on my first trip to London and included in my journal that they really do exist! LOL Looks like she is having fun and learning a lot already. I remember the sticker shock, too, but it sounds like she'll find her way around if she's already located an ATM without fees!

alexa said...

Glad all is well! Puzzled about the peanut butter - even a corner shop has peanut butter, usually! Though she might need to buy a grater and piece of Parmesan, unless she wants a teensy cardboard tube of stuff that looks like hoover dust. :)

Anonymous said...

Great to see her enjoying herself in London! What a great experience. Her blog is wonderful.

Anonymous said...

Yay! So glad she made it safely and is already have a good time!!

quiltingfool said...

I'm so excited for her! ^This will be such fun, following her adventures. I hope she has the most wonderful time ever!

Kelly Miller said...

So cool! I'll be following her blog to live this adventure vicariously through her.

Deb @ PaperTurtle said...

Hi Cheri ~ I've just spent the past 15 minutes looking at your blog and reading your posts. I haven't heard the Carpenter's song "There's a kind of hush" in years and I'm embarrassed to say, I still know all the words and sang along outloud. :o) I LOVE your self-portrait with "I am enough" written on your palm. I am so inspired! I've added myself to your list of followers, and look forward to seeing what else is in store. All the best! xo

debs14 said...

She will find all those foods - honest! Can't believe peanut butter wasn't on the shelf, I wonder if we place it in a different category over here. Grated parmesan will be in a cardboard shaker tube. Choc chips will probably be with the cake making ingrediants like flour. But pleased to see that she is getting to know London and more to the point - keeping in touch with her mum and dad!!! I'll be looking at her blog for sure.

Amy said...

Thanks for the update Cheri - I was wondering how she went on the flight and how you have been coping :-)

scrappyjacky said...

Glad to hear she arrived safely... and is already acclimatising well.
Amazed about the peanut butter...you can usually buy it everywhere....but any of the major supermarkets will sell all those items.
Love the phone box photo....we have a similar one.....taken in Celebration, Florida of all places....couldn't believe it when we saw one outside a cafe there!!

Sian said...

A blog about her adventures? How cool is that! I'm off to check it out.

Denise said...

Looks like a good time is being had, I think Peanut butter is normally on the shelf with the jams
and marmites!I love the phone box photo :-)

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear she is doing so well! Love the pic (and their red booths)! Best of luck to her & hugs to you!

Anonymous said...

How wonderful for her. What a great opportunity. As to prices, on our first trip there someone said it's the same price only there's a pound sign in front instead of a $ sign

Anonymous said...

How wonderful for her. What a great opportunity. As to prices, on our first trip there someone said it's the same price only there's a pound sign in front instead of a $ sign

humel said...

Lovely photos - I shall definitely pop over to her blog :-)

I can echo everyone else in my confusion about the peanut butter, which should be readily available; we do have grated parmesan, but it's either dried (and nasty) or only available in bigger supermarkets, so probably better to grate her own (it freezes well); if choc chips are the same as what I think of as choc chips then Deb is right, try the baking section of the store :-)