Monday, October 27, 2008

HumanKIND - More thoughts on the 3Day

It's not every day that you'll see a grown man playing crossing guard in the middle of a busy city street wearing a fuzzy pink helmet and tutu. In fact, some of what you see on the 3 Day Walk would be considered inappropriate, rude, or even obscene in any other setting. Not here. Because this walk is designed to raise awareness and funds to end breast cancer, folks have carte blanche to use every euphemism known. And they do. Signs, pins, and t-shirts with slogans like "Boobies Make Me Smile", "Save the TaTas", and "60 Miles for Bust" are everywhere. And it is good. And it is appropriate. And it is funny. It makes us smile through the pain of blisters and tight muscles.

Something else is everywhere - Kindness. Plain and Simple. The thousands of people walking the breast cancer 3 Day, the generous folks who give their time to Crew the breast cancer 3 Day, even the "walker stalkers" like the Boobilicious Girls,

and the everyday people who come out to cheer all have one thing in common. They have gathered out of the goodness of their hearts to support a cause they believe in. It is a symbiotic relationship with each group drawing support and energy from the others. For three days everyone I passed on the streets smiled, cheered, told me what a great job I was doing and how awesome I was. I'm not at all surprised that there are 3 Day addicts who walk in these events all over the country. Because it's not everyday that you get to hear someone being truly appreciative because you are being who you are. And honestly, where else in the world am I gonna go where someone is gonna tell me that I "look Boobilicious"? Honestly. Tell me where.

No comments: